Monday, August 29, 2011

One more thing... IDE!

I started doing some programming practices today, I'm going to copy out all the programs out of my java book. It got me a better feeling of the IDEs/editors, and so I'm trying to make things a little more efficient for myself. At first I started using nano to edit, and it was okay but it was sort of a pain in the ass to be running the program from command line. Not a huge deal. I jumped over to using Geany which was actually pretty nice. I guess I probably have a few things to tweak but it was fine for a few basic programs.

I'm wondering what sort of development environments other people use. Eclipse and NetBeans are used pretty frequently, but they're both so bloated. My computer has a hard time keeping up. I'm afraid to even touch vim. In the end I'd imagine that it really doesn't matter as long as I'm able to pump out code efficiently and comfortably. I've considered using a programmers dvorak keyboard layout; the biggest difference is the numbers. That's confusing, even though I use the numpad.


1 comment:

  1. If you can't handle Eclipse, then you probably can't do IntelliJ either...I used to use JCreator for Java, which is a nice simple IDE with not a lot of features. Kind of a nice change from a lot of those IDEs that have things flying in your face constantly.

    ReplyDelete